geologist trainee (2) for the sokli project
The mission of Finnish Minerals Group is to responsibly maximise the value of Finnish minerals. We manage the State’s mining industry shareholdings and strive to develop the Finnish value chain of lithium-ion batteries. In addition, we are engaged in long-term technology development of the mining and battery industry. Through our work, we contribute to Europe moving towards electric transport and a more sustainable future.
The Finnish Minerals Group is comprised of the following companies: Finnish Minerals Group (Suomen Malmijalostus Oy), Finnish Battery Chemicals Oy, a project company involved in the preparation of battery value chain investments, Terrafame Oy, a multi-metal company and Sokli Oy, a mining project in Savukoski. In addition, Finnish Minerals Group owns 20% of Keliber Oy.
Sokli (Savukoski, NE Finland) is a polymetallic deposit which has been studied for over 50 years' time. Sokli carbonatite deposit is potential for many raw materials (for example phosphorus and rare earth elements), which are critical in the transition for climate neutrality.
We are seeking for two ambitious Geologist Trainees for the Sokli project to join our team. The working period is five months long, of which one month will be covered during February-April at the Sokli Oy’s office in Espoo or remotely from home, and the remaining four months period will be carried out in Savukoski during May-September. You will report to Sokli Oy’s Project Manager and you will be employed by Sokli Oy.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Drill core logging and sampling
- Field studies and sampling
- Tasks related to the archiving, documentation, and material management of the Sokli project
- Other tasks assigned by Sokli Oy
- A few years of geology studies and previous experience in field work
- Co-operation skills and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Willingness to take responsibility as well as the ability to learn and apply new matters quickly
- Willingness to work independently and safely, diligence and orderliness
- Fluent in Finnish and English
- Travel readiness in Finland in the Savukoski and Espoo areas
- At least a class B driving license
- Skills in Microsoft Office programs
What is considered an advantage
- Enthusiastic and motivated attitude to acquire new knowledge
- Ability to use GIS software (e.g., QGIS)
- Ability to use geological modelling software (e.g., Leapfrog, Surpac)
What we are offering
- An opportunity to be part in developing the Finnish mining industry and battery value chain to combat the climate change
- A broad view of the rapidly developing mining and battery sector
- A dynamic work community focusing on the well-being at work
- Possibility to have a BSc or MSc thesis topic related to Sokli
Do you have any additional questions? Project Manager Pasi Heino will be happy to provide you with further information: +358 50 553 5032 on Friday 21 January 10:00 – 12:00 or on Tuesday 25 January 12:00 – 14:00.
Ready to join us? Please apply by submitting your CV and cover letter titled ”Geologist Trainee, Sokli-project” by January 31st, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may begin the interview process during the application period. All the applicants will be informed about the results of the recruitment by February 18th 2022.